Thursday, March 1, 2012

Snapshots of the Heart ~ Gratitude

I really do try not to love things.  But it's not easy.

I often need to make a concentrated effort to not get caught up in the value of my possessions.  Instead, I want to be grateful for the people who surround me, this life that God has blessed me with and the good health that I enjoy.  I want to focus on the joy that my kids give me, the pleasure of sharing a good laugh with Brett and the privilege of being home with my babies.

But sometimes ...

I just really love my stuff.

In particular, the new sectional we bought about a month ago.  I'm afraid I have fallen in love with it!

I love that it fits our room so well.

I love that our entire family can sit on the couch together to watch a show.

I love that there is actually room for us to grow.  And still fit.

I love that when we have guests over, no one has to sit on the floor or hearth.

I love that the kids like to nestle into the corner-seat, snuggled under a blanket.

I love that Brett and I still sit side-by-side, even if the sofa is vast.

I love that it still looks clean.

And I love that from about two to three o'clock, the chaise portion of the couch is in the sun.

That is my absolute favoritestest seat in the house.

Just this past Sunday, I sprawled across that particular cushion as it lay bathed in sunshine and read a book.  For an hour.  When I finally pulled myself away from the story, my sun-baked brain felt foggy.  It was awesome.

So while it's true that I am grateful for Ashley's hysterical, maniacal, wet-my-pants-able laughter, Aaron's sneak-up-behind-you hugs, Norah's cartwheel-from-here-to-there trips to the kitchen, Lydia's speedy rendition of "Jingle Bells" and Brett's willingness to admit that Cowboys and Aliens was a terrible movie ... I love my sunny seat.

Just don't tell the kids.  I'm trying to teach them not to put too much importance on things.

And I don't want them to take my place in the sun.

"Help my children to live lives that are always overflowing 
with thankfulness and always giving thanks to 
God the Father for everything,
 in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."  
Ephesians 5:20 & Colossians 2:7


__________________________________________
Prompt #3 ~ My spot in the house.

Mama’s Losin’ It


7 comments:

  1. It's your DUTY to prevent sun damage to your sofa so block it out WITH YOUR BODY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reading spot sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that sunny spot sounds wonderful! I wouldn't want to share it, either.

    You do a great job with your posts, Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could use a place in your sunny spot today. . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must never let on that you love that spot or you may lose it forever! Sounds luxurious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spot sounds heavenly...I would love a spot like that in our house. We have plenty of windows...just no couch strategically placed for the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally guard that spot with your life!! And I understand your attachement to things. I once cried over a rocking chair we gave away. It was not one of my finer moments.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)