Sunday, October 23, 2011

Take a Load Off

Isn't it funny how as kids we hear songs and they stick with us?  Even if what we are singing aren't the actual words!  Growing up, we apparently listened to "The Band" ... I had to Google the lyrics to find out who actually sang it.  One particular song caught my fancy and has stuck with me, mainly because in my little head it was so hysterical ...

Take a load off, Fanny,
Take a load for free.
Take a load off, Fanny,
And (and, and) put it right on me.


Hee, hee!  They said, "Fanny".

Uh, what was that?  They didn't?  Ohhhhh, "Annie".  "Take a load off. Annie."

Hmmm ... my version is better!

Anyhoooo ...

Today is Sunday and I intend to do just that.  Take a load off (my) fanny and take a little break.  I need it.  This week was filled with field trips, flu shots, football games, birthday celebrations, painting pottery, baking cakes, a trip to the poopoo patch (Lydia's words, not mine!), gymnastics, Baby S, Aaron & Norah's school music program, MOPS, Gramps & Grammy coming to town.  And those other pesky parts of life like eating and sleeping and bathing.

The irony was not lost on me that most of those things from the above list happened on Wednesday.  The day of my post, "Know Thy Limits".  The only difference (and saving grace) was that those "oh-so-wise" words were stuck in my head and I found myself depending on God to keep a smile on my face and head above water.  He was faithful.

But today.  Today is Sunday.  The Sabbath.  The day of rest.  The day to say, "Let's just be."  Could you hear my sigh through the blogosphere?  It was a big one.

Why do we rest?  Because God did.

11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:11)

And I thought my week was busy!

As much as I am genetically programmed to do, I am spiritually commanded to NOT do.  Strangely, it is actually not an easy thing for me to do ... er, uh, not do, I mean.  To not do the doing ... you know what I mean.  We are supposed to set aside time to rest and be recharged and even though it doesn't look productive, it is tending to your soul in amazing ways.

13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath 
   and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
   and the LORD’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
   and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,  (Isaiah 58:13-14, emphasis mine)



So as I understand it, when we take a break and trust God that He will help us to get done the important stuff in spite of not doing for a spell, we will find joy.  Not more stress.  Not more anxiety.  Not a longer to-do list ... JOY.  And we could all use a little more of that!


So ... take a load off your fanny.  Take a load for free.  Take a load off your fanny.  And put it right on Jesus.  He wants to give you joy!




1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm tired just reading about your week.

    I think that sabbath rest was such a great gift He gave us. And a beautiful lesson about self-care. He knew it would be tough for so many of us to stop. To quit our everyday lives and give one to Him. And to ourselves. Thank you for the reminder.

    And thanks again for visiting on my SITS day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)