Monday, October 3, 2011

Splendidly Lavish

There is something about a birthday landing on a Monday.  (Especially a Monday in the Kellum household where it's, "go! go! go!" from sun up to sun down.)  Something that makes this birthday girl grateful that her family started celebrating Saturday!

With extra time to write, uninterrupted opportunities to create and free time to rest, I loved my birthday weekend!  And as if those little gifts weren't enough, I also enjoyed Brett's homemade pizza for dinner, breakfast out before church on Sunday and a delicious dessert.  Imagine with me a generous bowl of coffee ice cream nestled next to a slice of from-scratch (from our garden) carrot cake topped with homemade cream cheese frosting.  And not a smidgen of frosting, mind you, but a generous slathering; a thoroughly liberal blanketing; a splendidly lavish layer of creamy sweet goodness!


I remember reading somewhere years ago about a delicious correlation between a lavishly iced cake and God's lavish grace.  The author wrote about how her grandmother wasn't skimpy in the way that she iced a cake.  She was generous with the icing in the same that God is generous with His grace.

Abundant.
Big-hearted.
Sumptuous.
Luxurious.
Plentiful.
Unsparing.
Bountiful.
Openhanded.
Unstinting.
Extravagant.

In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, we read:

7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace 8 that he lavished on us. (Ephesians 1:7-8a)

I can say, as I lick the sugary sweetness off my fingers, that this snapshot of God's abundant grace is a delicious reminder.  Delicious and sweet.

Thank You, Jesus, for Your lavish grace.  And help me to love those around me with that same lavish grace ... even especially the goofy ones!




(Now ... who is going to come help us eat this cake?  Because I can't be left alone with it's deliciousness ...)
__________________________




31 Days of Mom in the Midst

2 comments:

  1. Morgie-pie -

    I love the picture of you alone with the cake. You look absolutely stunning!!

    Love you lots,

    Krystal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my ... stunning? You are very lavish in your compliment! I think I will tuck that little gem away for a less-stunning-ish day! :) Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)