Thursday, December 8, 2011

Peace, Peace

I'm feeling a little bit like it's Finals Week.  But with a Christmas-theme!

My brain is repeating the facts and details of the coming week - hopefully preventing me from forgetting anything important.

My countertops are covered with lists, catalogues and sticky notes - all essentially important.

My calendar looks a little overloaded in the next couple of days - all important (but fun) activities.

My days are scheduled to the minute (it would seem) with Christmas and non-Christmas tasks - all jockeying for importance.

My heart is set on celebrating Jesus' birth with joy and reverence - focusing on Him as the important Center of Christmas.

I'm having flashbacks to those final weeks of each semester at UNC:  an overloaded brain, an overtaxed body and an overwhelming sense of "I'm not going to make it!"  Not exactly how I would like to feel today, this 16th day before Christmas day.

What am I going to do?  (That is, besides muscle through the next couple of days?)

I think Sara Groves has a little something to share.  This is from her "O Holy Night" CD ... a must have, I must say.


Peace Peace

By Sara Groves, Ben Gowell and Aaron Fabbrini


Peace Peace it's hard to find
trouble comes like wrecking ball
to your peace of mind
and all that worry you can't leave behind



all your hopes and fears
all your hopes and fears
all your hopes and fears
are met in Him tonight



Peace Peace
it's hard to find
doubt comes like a tiny voice that's
so unkind
and all your fears they conspire
to unwind you



all your hopes and fears
all your hopes and fears
all your hopes and fears
are met in Him



And in your dark street shines
and everlasting light
and all your hopes and fears
are met in Him tonight



all your hopes and fears
all your hopes and fears
all your hopes and fears
are met in Him tonight



peace peace
peace peace
peace peace



Peace.  Peace.  Peace.  That is what is lacking from this feverish week of get-togethers, Christmas dinners, gingerbread houses, gift making, letter writing and the usual house-hold frenzy.

Peace.

How grateful I am that this important ingredient is nestled in the person of Jesus.  All my hopes and fears - hopes for fun family memories, meaningful advent devotions and joyful gift giving; fears of not enough time, grumbling interactions with my sugar-hyped kids and disappointed hearts - all my hopes and fears are met in Him.

That doesn't mean all the tough stuff evaporates and everything's cheery and bright, but this Holiday can be in a better perspective.

Focused on Jesus.  The truly important part of Christmas.

As for those other bits and pieces ... I'm trusting they'll all fall into place. 

Or not.  (insert shrug here)

2 comments:

  1. Great sentiment. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her voice! I pray that you have a peaceful season!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)