Thursday, December 22, 2011

Born to Die

I have yet to highlight a Christmas song from Bebo Norman.  But now, I can resist no further!  In reality, I could share a little something about every song on his album, Christmas: From the Realm of Glory, but I'll settle for just one.

Hmmmm ... that is after I yammer on about a few of my favorite bits of his other songs.

"Go, Tell it on the Mountain" makes my kids sing loud.  And happily.  When the chorus comes around, they belt out the words and it looks like they might be looking for a mountain to yell from.

"Come and Worship" gives me goosebumps every time.  Every.  Time.  Like right now as it rings out from my iPod on eternal repeat.  A powerful call to worship.

I love his rendition of "What Child is This?".  Another powerful chorus.  When he sings, "haste, haste", it makes me want to be quick to bring my little gift of praise to Jesus.  As in, right now.

His perky "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" is a real toe-tapper.  I have been known on more than one occasion to dance around my kitchen to this song.  Yes, I need to get out more.

"Joy to the World" gives us a whole new definition of "joy".  I won't hear that song again in the same way.

He also sings "Silver Bells" and it makes me want to stroll down a snowy street and look in all the holiday windows.  His lively song "Christmas Time is Here" is a wonderful invitation to celebrate this season with the people we love.

He even included Jackson Browne's "Rebel Jesus" which I would have never coined as a spiritual song.  But, I was wrong.  Take a peek at just this one verse ...

Well they call Him by the Prince of Peace
And they call Him by the Savior
And they pray to Him upon the seas
And in every bold endeavor
And they fill His churches with their pride and gold
As their faith in Him increases
But they've turned the nature that I worship in
From a temple to a robber's den
In the words of the rebel, Jesus


A powerful reminder that Jesus desires us to be passionate about seeking Him and not the riches of this world.

And finally, there is my favorite, "Born to Die".


They never knew a dark night
Always had the Son's light
On their face
Perfect in glory
Broken by the story
Of untold grace...
Come that day

Majesty had come down 
Glory had succumed now 
To flesh and bone
In the arms of a manger
In the hands of strangers
That could not know
Just who they hold

Chorus:
And the angels filled the sky 
All of heaven wondered why
Why their King would choose to be 
Be a baby born to die

And all fell silent 
For the cry of an infant,
The voice of God
Was dividing history
For those with eyes to see,
The Son would shine
From earth that night

Bridge:
To break the chains
Of guilt and sin
To find us here 
To pull us in 
So we can join in Heaven's song
And with one voice around the throne

All the Angels filled the sky
And I can't help but wonder why 
Why this King would choose to be
Be a baby born for me
Be a baby born 
Be a baby born to die


I love this song from the perspective of the angels.  They have always lived in the glory of the light of Jesus in heaven ... and now He has chosen the humble form of a baby on earth.  Their astonishment at God's surrender to the hands of Joseph and Mary is palatable.  They wonder aloud at this mystery ... why would the King choose to be a baby and why would He embrace His fate of death?

Gratefully it is a mystery with purpose ... "To break the chains of guilt and sin ... so we can join in Heaven's song".

I have no choice but to join with the angels in asking "Why?".  Why would Jesus choose to die for me?

The only answer?  Love.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard that one before, and I like it a lot! Thanks for new music!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)