Friday, December 2, 2011

Away in a Manger

This past week, our MOPS group celebrated our annual Christmas Banquet.  The room was decorated with lights and evergreens.  Each table was set with a different centerpiece and we ate on real dishes without the need to share any of our food with any small child.  We enjoyed an encouraging talk, a few silly games and an opportunity to share our own family's Christmas traditions.  A great way to get into the Christmas spirit!

At the end of the morning, our little three, four and five year olds climbed up on the stage to sing for their mommies.  I pulled out my camera to catch little Lydia in action.  She stood third from the end on the right hand side of the stage.

And she didn't move a muscle.  What???

Liddy is a mover and a shaker.  A singer and a dancer.  She has been know to shake her hiney and wiggle her hips.  She has decided that her mission in life is to out-sing Ashley.  She is famous for belting out the song, whether she knows the words or not.  So you can imagine my surprise when she stood motionless and silent in the midst of the other little singers.  Even the little girl rhythmically jumping up and down around her was unable to spur her on to make even one little squeak.

At the end of the songs, I put my camera away, not even bothering to record it.  One or two still snapshots of my stunned and soundless sweetie was enough.

That evening as I was putting the two younger girls to bed, Lydia requested, "the baby song".  As I shook my head and shrugged my shoulders, she proceeded to sing, "the baby song" that she hadn't sung that morning ...

Away in a Manger.

Away in a manger, no crib for His bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head;
The stars in the sky looked down where He lay,
The little Lord Jesus, asleep in the hay.

The cattle are lowing, the poor Baby wakes.
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes.
I love thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky.
And stay by the cradle till morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay,
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray!
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care
And take us to heaven, to Live with Thee there.
Words: Unknown, 1885 (verses 1 & 2)
Verse 3: Attributed to John Thomas McFarland, 1887 (1851-1913)
A little click on the link brings music to your ears!


Sitting and listening to Ashley and Lydia quietly sing this lullaby, complete with hand motions, was a delightful way to end my day with my babies.  


A tender prayer for sweet sleep after a bustling and busy day.  
A heartfelt reminder of the blessing of an intimate and personal friendship with Jesus.  
A glorious promise of eternity with our Father.


Simple and powerful.  And sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post...you are right. So powerful, simple and sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)