Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Toy Packaging

Toy Packaging.

Just those two little words strike fear into the hearts of moms & dads, grandmas & grandpas, aunts & uncles around the world.

As Brett and I were wrapping gifts this past week, there was a temptation to de-box, de-twisty-, de-band, de-staple and de-shrink-wrap a few of the toys.  But what is Christmas morning without a pair of scissors lost somewhere in a sea of wrapping paper and an impatient three-year old demanding, "I play it now!"??

Exactly.

It just wouldn't be Christmas if Brett wasn't sitting over in the corner quickly and efficiently freeing Polly Pocket pieces from their packaging and trying not to snip a finger or lose a precious miniature shoe in all the trash.  Thanks, Honey.  You're the best.

This is such an familiar aspect of the Holidays, that Sara Groves wrote a wonderful little song about it.  Proof that toy packaging is a universal frustration for the families of the world!


Toy Packaging

By Sara Groves and Ben Shive


Nothing makes me loose my cool like
Toy packaging
Ask the kids to leave the room for
Toy packaging
I have no choice the money's spent
I've worked for hours to make a dent
I guess it's anger management
Toy packaging



Nothing makes me lose my cool like toy packaging
Ask the kids please leave the room, it's time for toy packaging
I'm drawing up a battle plan
To extricate this Robot man
My self-esteem is in the can
Toy packaging



In the old days you could hold a box and shake it
And hear the pieces rattling around
My eyes tear up at these grommets, tape and twisty ties
Remembering that beautiful sound



Nothing makes me lose my cool like toy packaging
Kids you need to leave the room, mom's opening toy packaging
I'm sorry you have to see this sight
You must be brave, no please don't cry
I promise it will be alright
I hope to have it by tonight
... Never mind this dynamite
Toy packaging



Isn't that awesome?  In the background of the song are noises of sawing and hammering and Sara desperately hollering, "Honey!"  It makes me smile even now.


With as much plastic, wires and tape that go into the packaging of toys these days, you almost get the impression that they don't want you to be able to open it and enjoy it.  It's almost like the goal is to make the item within the box utterly and completely unreachable.


"Yep.  It's just what you wanted.  It was even on your Christmas list.  Isn't it amazing?  What?  You want to open it?  And play with it?  You actually want to touch it? That's absurd!"


God is the exact opposite.  His gift of salvation is utterly and completely accessible!  There are no twisty-ties holding it captive.  There are no itty-bitty bits of plastic holding it contained.  There is no packaging tape keeping it sealed.  There are no plastic bags keeping it prisoner.


God's gift of Jesus is open, inviting and ready to be experienced.  No scissors required.


It's exactly your size, it's what you've always wanted and ... it's just what you need.


Go ahead.  Take it, open it and enjoy it.  It's yours.

1 comment:

  1. Oh...I can't stand the toy packaging. I have no patience. My hubby actually likes to keep the twisty ties just in case...I secretly throw some away when I can.

    I would love to get together with you. Evenings work good for me (without kiddoes) if that works for you. Do you have my number? You can text or call me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)