Monday, July 30, 2012

small things {freckles}




small things #52 ... freckles

My big girl sits next to me on the kitchen bench.  She's telling me about her latest exploit on the balance beam.  Something about a leap, a quarter turn and an arabesque to scale.  I'm trying to focus on her words, but I'm distracted.

Distracted by her freckles.

At the start of summer there were several dozen sprinkled across her nose.  But now, at the half-way mark of summer, the sun has kissed her leaving hundreds of perfect freckles scattered across her face.

They cartwheel across her cheekbones, disappearing into her strawberry hair.
They spring from one side of her forehead to the other, tiptoeing among her blonde eyebrows.
They vault across the bridge of her button nose, delicate and dainty.

"Where did you get all those freckles?  You have hundreds."

"Probably thousands.  I don't want them."

"I adore them.  I want to kiss every one of them."

"That would take forever."

"I'd better get started."

Freckles ... just another of those tiny bits of my kids to treasure.  Even if they roll their eyes and back-walk-over out of reach.


2 comments:

  1. This is so sweet! I have freckles too and when I was a little girl my grandma called them "sun kisses". Stopping by from SITS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her freckles too, I tried to name them while she was rolling her eyes at me... "bobbie Sue, Billie Jo, Susie Q..." :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)