Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Taking Flight pt. 4

Swifty twiddled with the buckle on her bag before speaking. "It's just that, um, I was wondering if, uh...I w-wondered if it would be p-possible for me to come in early t-tomorrow morning and work on my butterfly charm." The last words tumbled out in a rush. Swifty lowered her eyes and studied the floor. "I j-just thought that maybe if I had some help, I could have it all figured out by the first d-day of school." Daring to finally meet her teacher's eyes, she smiled tentatively.

Miss Flit pursed her lips, tapping them with her red pencil. "Hmmm...I see. Have you had any success with this particular charm?" Chewing on her lower lip, Swifty shook her head, her gaze slipping to the floor again. Miss Flit shook her head. "I don't know, dear. If you haven't mastered this charm by now, I don't know that you can expect to be ready in just two days. Which, of course, greatly hinders your ability to fully participate on the first day of school." Tears welled up in Swifty's eyes. "We can't very well have you fluttering about, undisguised, threatening our secrecy and our safety."

Swifty nodded briskly, fighting back her tears. "I...I understand," she choked, turning toward the door. "Thank you, Miss Flit."

"Swifty?" Miss Flit's voice softened as she slipped off her reading glasses. Swifty stopped, but didn't turn around, one fat tear rolled down her cheek and splashed on the wooden floor. The clock above the teacher's desk tick-tocked in the silence that filled the room. After a few moments, Miss Flit sighed. "Alright. I will meet you here at first light and we'll see what we can do."

Swifty spun on her heel, beaming. "Thank you! Oh, thank you! I really and truly think I can get the hang of it, especially with your help! Thank you, Miss Flit!" Fluttering her delicate wings, she hovered an inch off the floor and floated towards the door.

"You're very welcome, dear. And Swifty?" The young fairy paused at the threshold to the classroom. "Please, be on time," Miss Flit said, eyebrows raised.

Blushing, Swifty nodded and then soared out the door, headed toward the warm lights of the Gnarled Log Café.

Image courtesy of Pipii



______________________________

As part of a personal 30-Day challenge to write everyday and in light of this new season of life with all the kids in school, I have begun a little tale. Be sure to start at the beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)