Thursday, September 29, 2011

If I Didn't Work ...

The truth of the matter is that while I don't have a paying gig, I work all day long.  All. Day. Long.

In light of this, in order to brainstorm some ideas about what I would do if I didn't work, I had to go right to the source ... the least-working person in our house.  That would be Lydia.

Unfortunately, Lydia is still working on her conversational skills, so she didn't have many words of wisdom to share with her mom.  Also, she was too busy not working to teach me much.  Apparently my almost three-year-old is hard at work playing.  This required me to do a little on-the-job observation.

Here is what would fill my day if I wasn't working:

  1. I would stay in my pajamas until 9:30 in the morning.  It's so lovely to lounge around in my Blue's Clues pj's.
  2. I would eat my breakfast in stages - preferably three.  By the end of the meal, it's almost time for the mid-morning snack, which works out great for me.  For the most part, I would graze all day.
  3. I would walk really, really slow to and from school.  This would allow me to inspect everything in a three-foot radius around me and I wouldn't break a sweat, either.  I would feel utterly unrushed and oblivious to any other plans for the day.  Or even what time it was.
  4. I would stay in the bathtub until the water was tepid and my fingers and toes were shriveled.  This might wreck havoc on my pedicure, but it might be great for my skin and hair.
  5. I would wear whatever I very well please, thankyouverymuch.  If I wanted to wear a pair of black stretchy pants scattered with rainbow stars and a blue and green flowered, frilly tank top and pink and red striped Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer socks, I would.  And I would top it off with my black kitty-cat mary-janes (on the wrong feet) and an animal print vest.  And I would look cute.
  6. I would park myself in a swing at the playground and stay there.  The whole morning.  From this vantage point, I would have a great perch from which to people watch and I wouldn't get my feet all dirty in the wood-chips.
  7. I would have a wonderful and loving person tuck me in for my afternoon nap.  We would snuggle, read my favorite book for the 12th time this week and this lucky person would rub my back and sing to me.  Just lovely.
  8. I would settle in for a intense afternoon of puzzling.  I would cover the kitchen table with all of my masterpieces and when I run out of space, I would move to the floor and spend my time sorting blocks and making designs in the Battleship game boards.  My concentration wouldn't be broken by phone calls, dinner to prepare, laundry to fold, a barking dog, or anyone needing anything from me.  Only a periodic break to go potty would interrupt my gleeful, song-filled play-time.
  9. I would be the evening's entertainment at the dinner table.  My audience would be riveted on my every word and my new goofy antics.  I would hold my family in the palm of my hand ... and mooch off their plates if necessary.
  10. I would have another wonderful someone help me get ready for bed.  I wouldn't have to brush my own teeth, change back into my pj's or brush my hair.  We would read my favorite book for the 13th time this week and then I would drift off to sleep after sweet kisses and songs.  I would benefit from 11 hours of sleep, in both my beauty and my behavior.

Hmmm ... I think I wouldn't mind working after all.  As long as I could have Lydia's job!

__________________________________


Prompt #4 - Ten things I would do if I didn't have to work.


Mama’s Losin’ It


4 comments:

  1. #3 almost sounds like me..Hmmmmm.... Sounds like a great plan though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have Lydia's job too! Love this post, as a busy mother (still after 35 years) I can relate. As an aside, I also love the quote you have in your About Me in your introduction. "Looking to find the sacred in the ordinary."
    Brilliantly put! I'm think I'm gonna like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post! I would like to have Lydia's job, too ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's good to dream...

    http://mrsgardengirl.blogspot.com/2011/10/peppers-and-onions.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)