Friday, February 10, 2012

Snapshots of the Heart ~ Biblical Self-Esteem

Growing up, my sister and I had an amazing collection of Barbie stuff.  We had a large number of dolls (all with varying lengths of hair), a diverse wardrobe, a pink convertible and, for good measure, a Ken doll that could ride a horse.  We would transform our bunk bed into a mansion worthy of Barbie and spend hours changing clothes, playing, changing clothes, styling hair and ... changing clothes.  It was fun, but inevitably, I found myself comparing my pre-teen body to that of Barbie.

And sometimes, in spite of all my grown up insight, I still do.

There have been plenty of studies done to remind us that Barbie is just a toy.  Here is one where a college student built a doll using Barbie's dimensions ... not so pretty.  Here is another one where someone computer graphically morphed someone to have Barbie's waist size and leg length.  Awkward.

The truth is that Barbie is a proportionally impossible piece of plastic and I am an actual human being made by God.

I'd rather be God's workmanship.  Not Mattel's.
And I'll be reminding my kids of that fact, too.

'Cause not even Barbie is perfect.



"Help my children develop a strong self-esteem 
that is rooted in the realization that they 
are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus."  
Ephesians 2:10



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)