Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Time-Warp Wednesday

It's been a little while since I warped ... too many things happening today to even think about reminiscing about yesterday!  I love having my kids home for the summer, but I can't help but think about how things should settle down a bit once we are in a regular routine.  That or we will ramp it up another notch and be forced to begin mommy-atom-splitting.  Again.

Ah well ... here's a Time-Warp post that I have been eagerly waiting to post.  For one thing, it's one of my favorite pictures.  For another thing, it involves one of the stories that we tell a lot in my family.  And finally ... it explains a lot about Norah and how she is her Mama in miniature.  (Anytime she pouts through a picture time, I can't help but think, "Yep ... she's mine ...")

This snapshot was taken in September of 1982.  Growing up, we had "the bench" where we would take family photographs.  It was a rickety old thing (my mom's great-grandfather's bench?) and it sat in front of the giant blue spruce in our yard.  Over the years we had a huge number of photo shoots with us perched on that bench.  But none quite as memorable as this one.

For some reason, which is forever lost in my almost-eight-year-old mind, I was a grump.  My mom wanted a snapshot of her kids and because I was a girl and had perfected the pouty lip and was rumored to be a bit of a drama queen, instead of smiling for the camera like my siblings, I protested.  I turned my little lower lip out, slumped my shoulders, severely crossed my legs, covered my eyes and refused to smile.  I thought, in my puny pubescent brain that I was in charge of the situation.  As you can see, I was wrong.

It was my mother who had the final say.



This snapshot became the hallmark of the Nadel kids.  From this point on, my mom referred to us as, "Her Three Little Monkeys" and she has gathered a rather extensive collection of the iconic "See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil" little fellows.

But I think we are still her favorites.

In this case, I was smiling ... I promise.

We love you, Mom!

(And let this be a lesson to you all ... one little snapshot in time can go down in infamy ... following you around for the rest. of. your. life.  Be very, very careful ... and smile.)

2 comments:

  1. Y'all are hilarious! Thanks for stopping by the Lone Tater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, those pictures are too cute and I love the story that goes with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)