Tuesday, January 11, 2011

DIY - Curtain Pull Backs

Well ... yesterday's post was a doozy!  I got tired just reading through it again to proofread!  So today's post is simple and sweet.  Nothing exhausting, taxing, exasperating or challenging about this task! :)  But with a similarly satisfying end.

We have a window in our family room that needed some help.  I liked the curtains.  I liked the valance.  I didn't like the ties.  They were heavy, awkward and the kids were constantly untying them and leaving them in a heap on the floor.  Or, if they tied them back up, they were lopsided and lumpy.  Not the look I was going for.

It even kinda looks like a sad face ... "help ..."

I went to Target to look at curtain pull backs and choked.  Really?!?  Thirteen dollars for a simple metal hook?  For ONE simple metal hook?  Don't curtains usually come in pairs?  I looked through the options there and just couldn't bring myself to spend almost $30 on this window.

Then, as we were leaving, we walked by the hardware area.  This aisle featured drawer pulls, cabinet knobs and .... robe hooks!  For $3.00.  Both of them.  Together.  $3.  That's more my style! :)

Inexpensive and simple ... and, did I mention, cheap. :)

I was so excited at my find.  Not only were they cheap, but they were a lovely "tarnished bronze" color and they were going to be super easy to screw into the wall.  With my rusty, trusty screwdriver, measuring tape and pencil, I was able to mount my simple curtain pull backs in about 5 minutes.

Measuring and marking for the holes.
Be sure to measure from the windowsill on both sides so that they are level.  Also, I measured in about 1.5 inches from the edge of the window so that they were the same on both sides in that sense, too.  Symmetry is important.  Or else you might have to walk around with your head cocked to one-side so that it looks right. :)  Not that I've ever done that.

Mounted and ready to go!
Notice that the hook is placed with the opening pointing away from the window.  This will allow the curtain to be tucked back into the hook.

I love the new look for this window.  I love that my little Ashley can tuck the curtain behind the hook when she wants a little sunshine.  And unhook the fabric when the sun is too bright.  No more, "Mommy!  The sun is too bright on the computer screen!  Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy!  It's too bright!"

And I love that I spent $3.

Ta-dah!  ($3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)