Monday, January 3, 2011

Are You Ready for 2011?

Over the past several days, I've been pondering what I would write for my first post of this new year.

I thought about sharing some of my highlights from 2010 ... but you get that just about everyday right here, with a few low-lights thrown in for balance.

I thought about sharing a few of my resolutions for this new year:  saying "yes" to my kids more, eliminating the annoying *sigh* from my body's vocabulary, getting up consistently to work-out in the morning, eating better, being more faithful to pray. And the really "important" goals:  keeping my toe-nails painted prettily, not crying through my next shopping trip for a swim-suit, actually dusting my house on a regular basis, and trying to de-gunk some of nooks & crannies of my kitchen.

I thought about sharing some of my hopes for this year:  Lydia's last diaper (... ever!), Ashley learning to read, Norah mastering a back-flip, Aaron conquering his multiplication tables, Brett growing the biggest, baddest garden yet and me writing something that gets published.

I thought about sharing the remarkable truth that everyday can be a clean-slate, a fresh-start, a new beginning.  God promises that, "His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning; great is [His] faithfulness."  (Lamentations 3:22-23)  Each morning we can wake up and say, "Today is new."

Hmmmm .... what to do?  What to do?

Then during our first lunch of 2011 :) Lydia told me what to write.  As we wrapped up eating, little Lydia looked across the table at me ... and hiccuped.  And then giggled.  And hiccuped again.  And giggled.  And then waited for a little bit ... and hiccuped ... and giggled.  This was the first time that she had ever gotten the hiccups, recognized that something different was happening and enjoyed it.  A lot.



This little snapshot was exactly what I wanted to write about.  Enjoying the little bits of life and the surprises that we get when we are paying attention.  I love the look of anticipation on her little face as she waited for each hiccup.  I love the laughter and joy after each little HICK!  I love that this new experience captured her complete attention.  I love that she didn't want them to stop ... and even faked a couple to keep having fun!

I want my 2011 to be just like that:

Waiting expectantly for whatever God has next.
Enjoying all the little "hiccups" of life.
Paying attention to the small details, because they are the essence of life.
Laughing.  A lot.  Giggles.  Snorts.  Guffaws.
Recognizing that God has a year full of new experiences in store.
Sharing the richness of this life with Jesus with those around me.

Here's to a great 2011 ... filled with unanticipated hiccups and giggling with gusto!


HICCUP!  HA! HA! HA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)