Thursday, November 25, 2010

Counting My Blessings

A few weeks ago, I shared with you some of my random acts of thankfulness.  Little bits of life for which I'm grateful.  It was definitely random!

On Tuesday evening, my family and I made our Thankfulness chain ... another great way to be reminded of all we have to be thankful for.  The kids had a lot of fun working on this project together and, "we broke our record of last year!"  Yes, we did.  Our beautiful chain goes all the way around our family room and is made up of our gratitude for:  socks, video games, hot running water, the Bible, fire-fighters and yummy food.  And a whole lot of people!  Here are a few snapshots of our time of thankfulness:


What are we thankful for?  Lots!


Big girls stapling our chain.

Aaron supervising :)

Hanging the chain ... all the way around!

Four of my biggest blessings ...

Acting silly!


During this holiday season, it has been great for me to return to this practice of counting my blessings.  Especially since the "hurry, hurry, rush, rush" tendency of this time of year lurks around every corner.   I want to savor this time with my family.

Speaking of "savor" ... that's what I'm doing today!  Today is one of my favorite holidays - Thanksgiving.  While I love Christmas, it's easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of that season and lose my perspective.  On this special day, there is no gift-unwrapping fury, disappointment when the kids realize they didn't get their own iPod, deep fatigue from holiday preparation or a sense of, "hmm ... guess it's over."

Instead, on this day, we are focused on the people we love, the God who loves us and the richness of this life we've been given.  And our lives are full ... kinda like our stomachs after the big meal! :)  There is a wonderful sense on this day of God's sweet and abundant provision for us.  He is our Jehovah-Jireh, our Provider, and He is generous in His giving.

We sang an old hymn at church this past Sunday that reminded me of this promise of God to meet our needs.  While my family doesn't farm (we're city folk!), the imagery in this verse is a wonderful snapshot of our dependence on God ... and His care for us.


Come, ye thankful people, come; 
Raise the song of harvest home. 
All is safely gathered in 
Ere the winter storms begin. 
God, our Maker, doth provide 
For our wants to be supplied. 
Come to God’s own temple, come; 
Raise the song of harvest home.
_____________________________
"Come, Ye Thankful People, Come" by Henry Alford & George Elvey


Thank You, God, for gathering me safely to You.  I am truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)