Saturday, October 29, 2011

Oops. I Missed It.

After an extended season of summer, we have suddenly and decisively entered fall.  It was inevitable!

Everyday for the last week, I have marveled at the glorious changing colors of the trees of our neighborhood. The crisp temperatures have brought out the golds, reds and oranges.  Or, should I say, the Crayola colors of burnt sienna, chestnut and goldenrod.

One tree in particular stood out among all the rest.  Just across the way, an elm tree stood and turned from forest green to brick red to scarlet.  It was incredible!  The leaves blazed against the dandelion cottonwoods and canary aspen.  The color didn't actually seem real, it was so bright.  It glowed in the sunlight.  A tree robed in majesty!  It brought to mind the verses from the Bible that describe God as our King ...

 1 The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; 
   the LORD is robed in majesty and armed with strength; 
   indeed, the world is established, firm and secure. (Psalm 93:1)

Each afternoon we left the house to pick up kids from school, I would say, "Oh!  I was going to grab the camera.  I need to get a picture of that."  And each afternoon as we came home from picking up the kids from school, I would drive right into the garage and forget all about getting a quick snapshot.

Until yesterday.

Finally, camera in hand I walked across the street and took a picture.


Kinda sad, isn't it.

I missed it.

The tree had been at its very best last week and I failed to record its beauty.  I didn't seize the moment to capture its momentary glory.

Of course, God's glory is even more majestic than this elm tree ... even at its peak, it didn't rival the beauty or majesty of our King.  How grateful I am that not only is God more worthy of adoration than this tree, but neither is He fleeting! In His sovereignty, He rules and blesses His creation with the same generosity and wisdom that He has since the beginning of time.

17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. (James 1:17)

Even if I missed out on the short-lived splendor of this tree, I will never miss out on the care and favor of my Father!



Day 6:  Me, Myself & I

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)