Monday, February 24, 2014

Sights and Sounds

Brooke shrugged out of her coat as Mark slid it from her shoulders. Draping it over his arm, he turned to the attendant at the coat check. As he accepted their ticket from the attendant, Brooke spoke up, "What is this exhibit again?"

"It's a collection of photographs." Brooke turned toward Mark with a frown, her eyebrows knitted together. "But, it's a special collection. Trust me."

Guiding his date toward the line of other guests, Mark slipped Brooke's hand over the crook of his arm and read from the printed program. "It says here that this display is the collaborative result of six years worth of work by Benjamin Meer and Charlotte Kalmen. Benjamin Meer has a twin brother, William, who lost his sight as a result of Stargardt's Disease. Benjamin compiled this collection of photographs for William in order to capture favorite moments of their childhood, a scrapbook of sorts."

Brooke shook her head. "A lot of good that would do his brother. A bit thoughtless, don't you think?"

"But that's where Charlotte Kalmen comes in. Charlotte is a composer and pianist and it's her contribution to the project that I think you'll appreciate. Studying Benjamin's photographs, Charlotte wrote original songs to accompany each image, telling the story of each memory through music."

As the couple approached the first photograph, Mark handed Brooke a small device. "What's this? A remote control?"

"Very funny. This first image is titled, "Morning Breaks". It's the view out the kitchen window of the Meer family home. Now if I type in #124, we'll hear Charlotte's interpretation of this early morning moment."  Pressing the keys on the control, Mark held it up near Brooke's ear.

The first few notes seemed to be calling up the sun, beckoning its tentative rise over the crest of the hill. As the song continued, Brooke could make out the notes of birds calling out greetings to one another and the long sighs of the earth awaking. She smiled as the last notes evaporated. "That was lovely," she smiled. "It gave me goosebumps." Rubbing her arms, Mark directed them to the next photograph.

"This one is #135 and it's titled, "Old Porch Swing". According to the program, the boys spent hours on this porch swing, telling stories and listening to the world around them."

Brooke grasped the control to her ear, each note painting a picture of pure joy. Transported to the edge of that swing, she clung to the armrest and listened to the laughter of the boys, felt the summer breeze blow her curls back from her face. She rocked back and forth, hearing the creak of the old wood.

Mark's gaze drifted away from the photograph, landing on Brooke's upturned face. His own eyes glistened as he watched a single tear slip down her cheek. And then another. As she turned her sightless eyes toward him, his felt his throat tighten. In the silence that followed the final strain, Brooke whispered, "I could see the sunshine."

Image courtesy of Unsplash.
__________________________________

A 500-word piece inspired by the image above. 



15 comments:

  1. again...now is this a true story, Morgan? I, too, got the goosebumps and the tear. Nicely done, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it's fiction, but I'd love for it to be true for someone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first, I thought her words were a bit harsh. What a surprise at the end, and because of that, her comment about the brother being thoughtless made more sense to me. This was a beautiful story!

    I'll be back to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you couldn't see it coming (pun intended!). Sometimes as I write I'm unsure as to whether my readers will follow my lead, but not know more than they should. I guess this time, I was successful! I'm glad you enjoyed it and I do hope you will be back...thanks!

      Delete
  4. So now I am tearful! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry? :) Glad that you were moved with Brooke & Mark's story. Thank you for reading and responding.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully and tenderly rendered. I enjoyed going back and re-reading her eyes and his responses with the knowledge gained by the end of the piece. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and that it deserved a re-read. Yeah! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is a great story. I had tears in my eyes when I reached the end. I didn't expect it, but loved the surprise and how everything made sense once I read the ending. These are my favorite kind of stories. The stories that leave kind of wondering where the writer is going and then BAM, I get it. Usually, I pick up on this faster, but you kept the ending a well written secret. It wrapped up the story in a wonderful way. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's difficult to hide a surprise within the story and not either reveal too much, too soon or not enough to make an impact. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it and that it touched your heart.

      Delete
  7. Oh Morgan! Goosebumps and tears here as well. This was gorgeous, and the ending took me breathlessly by surprise! Stunning work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. What a treat for me to hear how much you enjoyed it! Your warm words bless me!

      Delete
  8. I did guess that she was blind, but I was still taken in by the story that was so sweetly and well-told. If there isn't really an exhibit like this - there should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...I agree with you completely that we need some sight and sound collaboration for an exhibit. Too bad I'm not terribly inclined musically or photographically. I'll stick to writing! :)

      Delete
  9. Beautifully executed, Morgan. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Your comments are warm fuzzies! (And con-crit is always welcome, too.)